Even before I’d ever set foot in the United States, New York was a place I’d always dreamed of visiting. Constantly touted as the cultural capital of America and a never-ending source of inspiration for all the artists I admire, visiting this city and state in April is truly going to be a “pinch me” experience.
And, as I only have 11 days to make the most out of my first time there, here’s my list of things I hope to do:
Visit Central Park . Well, isn’t that a shocker? No, let’s be real. Why would I go to New York City and not visit this place?
Visit the Museum of Sex. Anyone who knows me knows this is a must.
3. Take The Sopranos Tour into New Jersey. You can get on a tour bus and they take you through through the Jersey turnpike – Sopranos opening credits style – and visit all the places featured in the show like Bada Bing! and the booth Tony was sitting at in the last episode when he ***spoiler***. Seriously HAS to be done!
4. See Jerry Lewis live. Another Jersey thing but Jerry Lewis is giving “An Evening with” while I’m there where he talks about his partnership with Dean Martin and is supposed to show old and unseen clips from back in the day. I bought my ticket ten months in advance. I’m serious.
Visit The Dakota. The place where John Lennon was shot and an iconic building in its own right.
Visit the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge and the Brooklyn Bridge. The Brooklyn Bridge is one of the most famous in the world – Of course I’m going to visit it. And I can’t resist going to the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge either because of that scene from Saturday Night Fever that we all remember (“Can you dig? I knew that you could!” “You FUCKERS!”)
Catch a yellow cab/Use the subway. Yeah, it’s NYC public transport and it’s just about as well-known as the red buses and black taxis in London.
Visit The Statue of Liberty. So many people tell me Lady Liberty is smaller than you think. I’d like to see if for myself.
Visit Times Square. Another obvious choice.
Visit the Empire State Building. So, yeah, shoot me for wanting to see everything obvious!
Eat a real NY bagel/Eat some of the “world’s best pizza”/Eat a pretzel from a street cart. Not together! These days I don’t eat bread but I can’t pass up the opportunity to go and get a toasted bagel for breakfast in the one city they’re supposed to be the best in. I hate the pizza here in Mexico and, as I’m travelling to a place that boasts a number of “Best pizza in the world” places, I’m definitely not going to miss out on this. And a pretzel because I like to be a stereotype. And I’ve never tried one of those big doughy things. And it just seems so New Yorkish.
12. Visit the Hotel Chelsea. This was actually my first choice when I was looking for somewhere to stay but, unfortunately, it’s been closed to new guests for a while. I still want to visit it though. Edie Sedgwick set fire to it; Sid Vicious killed Nancy in it; Jack Kerouac wrote On the Road there. Home to Dylan Thomas, Simone de Beauvoir, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, The Libertines, Patti Smith, Frida Kahlo … I could go on.
Visit Rockefeller Center. It feels weird to write ‘centre’ the US way but I’ll let it go. I’d actually really love to visit Rockefeller Center around Christmas time – I’ve seen so many shots of Christmas trees and ice skating around there. I’ll settle for a nice Spring visit though.
See a show on Broadway. There’s a 90% chance his won’t happen because of money but, who knows?
Visit the NY Public Library. Because my inner bookworm will kill me if I don’t.
16. Play at FAO Schwarz. Because we don’t have FAO Schwarz where I’m from and I’m a child.
17. Visit Brooklyn Flea Market. I want to explore, eat, buy, interact, everything! Cerena and I are staying in Brooklyn so there’s no reason not to go here.
Visit the Museum of Natural History. Why isn’t the Met on here? Well, because Natural History museums have always interested me more.
19. Tour the Yankee Stadium. Because even though American Football hasn’t held my interest for more than a nano-second during my 15 months of living in the Americas, baseball has!!! And it’s the Yankees!!!
20. Visit Coney Island. There’s an amusement park, a circus and the sea. Yup.
21. Get my third tattoo. *Shockhorror* Don’t tell my dad, okay? He already hates the two I have.
Do you have any recommendations for anything else I can add to my list? 🙂